Mountain Rescue Service (Gorska služba spašavanja – GSS) helps everyone, and most importantly, it does it for free. Members are volunteers.
It was founded more than sixty years ago as an internal service of the Croatian Mountaineering Association.
Today GSS make fittest Croatian climbers, cavers and mountaineers and skiers. After special training they are qualified to provide first aid and for all mountain rescue techniques.
Primarily their task is to rescue injured from rugged terrains and under difficult weather conditions, but often their skills and knowledge are needed in urban and other non mountain areas.
Besides their primary task of saving people, an important service activity is to educate how to prevent accidents in rugged terrain.
Ways of contacting GSS:
- Emergency telephone number: 112
- HGSS teams’ telephone numbers
- Croatian Mountain Rescue Service (HGSS) Information Points; usually well equipped mountain huts clearly marked with HGSS name and emblem
- Police telephone number: 192
- Medical First Aid Stations – telephone: 194
- Any member of the Croatian Mountain Rescue Service